This week we bring you a round-up of the most interesting news and resources for publishing in the science fiction and fantasy genres. Heroes like Margret Atwood, Philip K. Dick, and Stephen King change the way we look at ourselves and the world. In these stories authors change the past or create new futures where anything is possible. A popular and growing field, we can see the influences of the genres everywhere in books, video games, movies, and many other forms of media. Take a look at the following links and dive into the unknown!
- Newbie to the style? SFE, the Encyclopedia of Science Fiction, has a critical, scholarly guide to answer all your questions.
- The Hieroglyph Project, a consortium that brings writers together with scientific experts, examines the role authors have in world building and provides a space for positive collaboration. Check out their wiki with fascinating articles. Arizona State University has a similar project, the Center for Science and the Imagination.
- Richard Davies lists fifty essential science fiction books on AbeBooks.com.
- NPR gathers reader polls in their 100 best science-fiction and fantasy list.
- I09 is a great blog for anyone interested in the genre. Frequently updated, the site features stories on books, movies, and television. Take a look at their post 18 Predictions for the year 2013 from Science Fiction Stories to see what author inventions actually came true.
- Sciencefiction.com takes a more in-depth approach with their blog articles. Check out their book reviews and science sections. Alison Baumgartner writes a fascinating appeal for Ray Bradbury books to be turned into movies.
- Want science fiction in your inbox? Check out Daily Science Fiction, a website and email list designed to give you a dose every day. Great for discovering new writers!
- Fantasy and Science Fiction Magazine comes out every two months and delivers some of the best short stories and anthology works.
- Every Writer’s Resource has a great list of publishers to go after for internships within the sci-fi and fantasy field.