Editorial Assistant – Nature Publishing Group
Location: New York, NY
Nature Publishing Group is seeking to appoint a temporary Editorial Assistant to manage the processing of manuscripts from submission to acceptance as well as supporting the standardization of workflows, improved efficiencies, data collection and to support authors, editors and reviewers. The position is based in our New York office and reports to the Editorial Administration Manager and has the potential to go permanent placement.
This is an administrative position which would be ideal for an individual with some office experience wishing to start an administrative career in a publishing environment. The main responsibilities of the role include:
– Checking our manuscript tracking system for revisions, pre-submission inquiries and new submissions.
– Perform quality checks on submissions for adherence to submission requirements and compliance with publication policies – communicating with authors where necessary by phone and email.
– Ensuring accepted manuscript files comply with Production requirements and chasing authors for any missing material where necessary
– Checking NPG legal forms are included and stored correctly
– Ensuring that database records are updated and that manuscript submissions are uploaded correctly into the online submissions system
– Providing general administrative assistance to the manuscript editors
– Assisting/covering for colleagues when required
– Liaising with the production and press departments
The successful applicant will have a 4 year Bachelor’s Degree and will be adept at using Microsoft Word, Outlook and Excel. Previous use of a database is also desirable.
The successful applicant will also possess the following qualities:
• Ability to work to a specified list of priorities with speed and accuracy
• Flexibility and ability to work as a team member
• Strong written communication skills, including accurate spelling and grammar
• Professional and courteous telephone manner
• Attention to detail; ability to follow instructions and adhere carefully to established procedures
• Ability to organize and juggle a varied workload under pressure and to work quickly and efficiently without constant supervision
• Capacity to make thoughtful decisions and use initiative
• Punctuality and reliability
• A positive attitude in the workplace and a willingness to co-operate with colleague
Please apply via this link. Be sure to include a resume and a cover letter in one document that includes salary requirements explaining your interest in the position.
Publicity Assistant – Viking (PRH)
Location: New York, NY
Join the Publicity team at Penguin Random House! We have an exciting new opportunity as a Publicity Assistant at Viking and Penguin. This Publicity Assistant will assist the Associate Director and Publicity Manager in publicizing a wide variety of authors and titles. We are looking for a fast learner and multi-tasker with the ability to liaise effectively with authors, the media, and various departments within Penguin Random House.
Specific responsibilities include:
1. Providing administrative support, such as processing invoices, distributing mail, filing, answering phones, etc.
2. Creating media lists and mailing books to media contacts, and fulfilling review copy requests for both supervisors.
3. Inputting all confirmed events, reviews, and interviews into MyPlans.
4. Circulating title reviews to appropriate contacts.
5. Coordinating book awards submissions.
6. Assisting with publicizing authors; these tasks include booking media, arranging author events at bookstores and other appearances, creating detailed schedules for authors and escorts, coordinating with travel agents on flight and hotel accommodations, confirming author interviews, and setting up post-tour radio telephone interviews.
7. Writing press materials, such as press releases, pitch letters, galley letters, and interview alerts.
8. Discussing supervisors? titles at weekly meetings, as needed.
9. Accompanying authors to interviews and events, as needed.
- 4 year college degree or equivalent work experience
- Previous office experience
- Ability to manage many priorities at once with speed, accuracy, and on deadline
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to multitask
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Knowledge of various social media platforms
- Strong interest in publicity and publishing
- Ability to work in a team, to be proactive, and to think on one?s feet
- Knowledge of Cision and Muck Rack is preferred
- Knowledge of PWB, MyPlans, MyHouse, and Concur is a plus
- Previous experience as a Publicity Assistant is a plus
Apply online here.
Assistant Acquisitions Editor – University of Illinois Pres
Type: Full-time, one year
Location: Champaign, IL
The University of Illinois Press seeks an energetic, well organized, detail-oriented assistant acquisitions editor to provide administrative support to the acquisitions staff. The successful candidate will be adept at tracking, prioritizing, and processing multiple time-sensitive projects, working independently, and communicating clearly and diplomatically with authors and colleagues. S/he will be a creative problem solver, open to challenges, and proficient in appropriate word processing and database programs. Intellectual curiosity and an interest in a career in publishing are a plus. Potential to take on acquisitions responsibilities under the direction of the Editor-in-chief. Duties include:
1. Assist editors with evaluating and processing submissions, coordinating and tracking peer review, estimating costs and revenues, and preparing and distributing project descriptions and packets for committee discussions.
2. Assess permissions, captions, and formatting of electronic text files and coordinate evaluation of images. Work with authors to finalize their submissions. Prepare manuscripts for transmittal to production.
3. Research book projects, series, and sources of outside funding. Prepare queries and preliminary grant applications.
4. Attend scholarly meetings and conferences on behalf of the Press.
5. Some travel required.
6. Other duties and responsibilities appropriate for an Assistant Acquisitions Editor.
Minimum qualifications include a bachelor’s degree in a humanities or social science discipline and one year of publishing experience. Other required qualifications include excellent writing and proofreading skills; strong interpersonal communication, organizational, and follow-through skills; ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure; ability to prioritize and multi-task; proficient word processing, database, internet, and Microsoft computer application experience. Preferred qualifications include: Graduate degree in relevant field; knowledge of copyright and contracts as they relate to book publishing; familiarity with all stages of the publishing process.
For full consideration, candidates must apply and submit a letter of application, resume, and names/addresses/phone numbers of three professional references by July 31, 2015 at https://uajobs.hr.uillinois.edu/. Employee Relations and Human Resources 449 Henry Administration Building, MC 341 506 South Wright Street Urbana, IL 61801 (217) 333-2600