Photo Credit: Gage Skidmore

Stan Lee, famous for the contributions to Marvel Comics, passed away earlier this month. He became the publisher of Marvel Comics in 1972 and then became the Chairmen Emeritus of Marvel Enterprises, Inc in the 1990s.

“The more you read, the better you’re going to become as a storyteller.”

Stan Lee was known for his co-creations like The Fantastic Four, Hulk, Thor, Iron Man, and X-Men. He became a figurehead for the series that he created, as well as one for Marvel itself. He also appeared in cameos in a few of the more recent movies.

“I always wrote for myself. I figured I’m not that different from other people. If there’s a story I like a lot, there’s got to be others with similar tastes.”

He was the creator of the Stan Lee Foundation which, “provides guidance, leadership and resources to high quality educational programs.” and has helped many people to become literate over the years.

“You know, my motto is ‘Excelsior.’ That’s an old word that means ‘upward and onward to greater glory.’ It’s on the seal of the state of New York. Keep moving forward, and if it’s time to go, it’s time. Nothing lasts forever.”