Drucilla Shultz is the Bookroom Editor at Publisher’s Weekly.

What are your job responsibilities?

Well, I’m the assistant editor of the Reviews department. I oversee the Publishers Weekly bookroom (and the interns that work there) and handle customer service across PW. I’m also an editorial assistant for BookLife. I screen submissions and conduct author interviews for the site.

How did the classes you took during your time in the program prepare you to work in the industry?

My classes gave me a good foundation for what working in the publishing industry actually entails. Before starting at Pace, I had no idea how publishing worked so the classes helped me understand the various publishing processes.    

What were some of the highlights during your graduate experience?

I really look back fondly on some of the classes I took.

Did you have an internship? If so, what was it and how did it prepare you for your current position?

Yes! I was the Library and Special projects intern for the Children’s Book Council. I helped with book donations and organizing incoming books. It was basically what I would be doing at PW!

What advice do you have for current students in the program?

Do as many internships as you can, and not just in your preferred field. Having a wide variety of experience across the different parts of the industry will be incredibly helpful once you start applying for jobs.

Where do you hope to be in five to ten years?

Honestly, I don’t have anything specific in mind. I just want to be working with books. That’s where I’m happiest.

What are your favorite aspects of the publishing industry?

Besides the books? The people. As someone who never had anyone to talk books with growing up, it’s wonderful to have a conversation about what you’re both reading with someone you just met.

What are you reading right now? Either for work or for pleasure.

I’ve been reading a lot of manga lately, most recently Komi Can’t Communicate which I enjoy a lot. I’m also slowly making my way through Seanan McGuire’s fantastic Wayward Children series.