Fodors.com is seeking an unpaid intern for the Spring 2013 to work from mid-March to early June. We are looking for a college or graduate student, majoring in Journalism, Communications or English, who is available to work 12-20 hours a week in our Midtown NYC office. Students must be able to receive school credit for the internship.
This opportunity is for a web-savvy young journalist to jump in and learn how a leading travel site works—from idea to execution. You’ll be part of a team creating engaging digital travel content. Along with researching photos and producing stories, you’ll write news stories and short features for our blog, proofread copy and test links for blog stories and newsletters, attend staff meetings, and tag content in our database. You may also be asked to jump in to assist on special feature projects like our Fodor’s 100 Hotel Awards.
The student will emerge from this internship with several clips and a deep understanding of what it’s like to work at a fast-paced travel brand in Midtown Manhattan. The ideal applicant will be a fast learner and self-starter. Familiarity with blogging platforms and social media tools is preferred.
- Assist with writing, researching, and posting regular news briefs
- Reach out to public relations contacts for current information
- Tag editorial content in our database
- Proofread copy for blog stories and newsletters
- Research photos stock houses and tourism boards
- Currently enrolled in a college or graduate school program, with a concentration in Journalism, Communications, English, or Media
- Proficient in the MS Word and Excel
- Organized and detail-focused
- Familiar with blogging platforms and social media tools
- Travel and photo editing experience is a plus
Fodor’s Travel, a division of Random House, Inc., is one of the world’s leading providers of travel information. Covering over 7,500 worldwide destinations, Fodor’s guidebooks and website, Fodors.com, have provided the most up-to-date, accurate information for travelers since 1936. Written by a vast team of global correspondents, Fodors.com provides engagingly written, locally reported, and absolutely indispensable travel guidance to more than 6.5 million unique users a month.
Interested students should contact Prof. Jane Denning at firstname.lastname@example.org.