Job type: Freelance
Position: Beauty Assistant
Location: New York, NY
Candidates should have keen interests in beauty related topics. The ideal assistant is a self-starter, highly organized, and has the ability to multi task as well as pay close attention to detail. Must be familiar with product brands, the latest trends, and key beauty public relation contacts. Past internship experience is required. A degree in Journalism, Print Media, or Communications is preferred.
Specific tasks to include:
· Research and write all beauty credits for FOB and COB stories
· Assist beauty department with expense reports, meeting scheduling, photo shoots, ordering supplies, and other administrative tasks as needed
· Oversee and organize daily product sample mailings
· Handle assigned writer contracts/invoices
· Assist with feature writing and editing as needed
· Research and fact check beauty copy
· Maintain the upkeep of the beauty closet
· Cover beauty events and deskside appointments as needed
· Manage summer intern workflow
Job type: Full-time
Location: New York, NY
The assistant editor is a key member of the editorial team for Poets & Writers Magazine. The assistant editor edits the News & Trends department for the print edition while providing editorial and administrative support to the editorial office. The assistant editor reports to the editor in chief.
This is a full-time position in our New York City office; we offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package that includes fully paid medical, dental, vision, and life insurance, a 403(b) plan, and generous time off.
• Assigning, editing, and/or writing articles and essays for the News & Trends department of each issue, as well as researching and soliciting artwork and photographs for the section.
• Editing Letters to the Editor.
• Proofreading Grants & Awards.
• Preparing Grants & Awards for each issue’s web close; coordinating the addition of Deadlines listings to the database and styling and linking the online Recent Winners page.
• Creating online-only content related to each issue’s New & Trends section.
• Maintaining the email@example.com inbox; fielding editorial telephone calls.
• Reading and evaluating spec and query letters for the editor in chief.
• Performing other editorial duties, as needed, including photo and article research, fact checking, proofreading, and handling permissions.
• Performing administrative duties, as needed, including filing, writing correspondence, and handling mail, among other tasks.
Qualifications and Experience:
• Excellent writing, editing, and communication skills.
• Strong computer skills, especially in Access, InDesign, and content management systems.
• Highly organized with attention to detail.
• Familiarity with Chicago Manual of Style a plus.
• Familiarity with social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook).
• Professional phone manner.
• Familiarity with literary community and interest in contemporary literature.
• Cooperative, enthusiastic attitude.
Apply online at Media Bistro.