PW Daily reports that World Book Night announced its 2014 book picks on October 23, during a video chat event conducted at the Association of American Publishers offices in New York City. A half a million free paperbacks of the 35 selected titles will be handed out on one day, April 23, 2014 (mark your calendars!) as a part of the organization’s third-annual campaign to promote giving and reading.
To apply to become a volunteer book giver next spring, visit the online application here.
The event is a wonderful opportunity for authors, publishers, and book sellers to offer their books for free for this one night. Last year, 500,000 free copies were given! This year, some of thefree titles to be given away include:
- Kitchen Confidential, Anthony Bourdain (Ecco)
- The Weird Sisters, Eleanor Brown (Berkley)
- The Perks of Being a Wallflower, Stephen Chbosky (Simon & Schuster)
- Catch-22, Joseph Heller (Simon & Schuster)
- Waiting to Exhale, Terry McMillan (New American Library)
- Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, Ransom Riggs (Quirk Books)
- When I Was Puerto Rican, Esmeralda Santiago (Da Capo)