Welcome back to the Spring 2014 semester!
Be sure to check out the blog daily as we are always updating it with great information. We start off each week with an inspiring Quote of the Week. Other regular weekly features include: The Link of the Week, Jobs in the Spotlight and Around Town: Books and Magazine Events in NYC. We also post monthly Alumni in the Spotlight Interviews, Faculty/Advisory Board in the Spotlight features as well as our Media Roundups and Reports from the Trenches (we love to have students blog about field trips, guest lectures, books or magazines they have read etc.) and Volunteer and Events postings. In addition, we also post numerous Internship and Employment opportunities so be sure to bookmark the blog.
The blog has also been updated to include Faculty and Staff Bios—a great way to learn more about the backgrounds and accomplishments of your professors (see tab at the top of the blog)! In addition, the Publishing Links that run along the left side of the blog is also a great resource for networking and additional educational opportunities.
I would also like to thank you for your contributions to and feedback on the blog and we hope that you are finding it to be a useful resource. Please feel free to email me (email@example.com) with any suggestions or comments you have– I love to hear from you and am always looking for new ways to provide you with useful information. And, for students interested in getting putting together some writing samples, putting together a post for the blog is a great way to do that.
In closing, I thought it would be interesting to put together a few of the interesting articles, news stories that you might have missed over the winter break. This is by no means a comprehensive list, just a few of the things that got me thinking; about the industry today and what might lie in the future.
Hope you enjoy and have a wonderful semester!
Executive Director of Internships and Corporate Outreach
1) This piece, written by Mark Coker, founder of Smashwords,asks the question “What does 2014 hold in store for ebook authors, publishers and readers?” Bringing 14 book publishing industry predictions. “Predictions stir our imagination of what’s possible. By imagining what’s possible, readers and authors can prepare for the future, or take steps to realize the future they desire.”
2) If you love the New York Public Library—take note!
3) Why not?
4) Whether or not you want to be a writer, an editor or an agent, this is some great advice.
Six of The Best Pieces of Advice From Successful Writers
“When people tell you something’s wrong or doesn’t work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong.” Neil Gaiman
“If it sounds like writing, I rewrite it.” – Elmore Leonard
5) Alice Munro and Margaret Atwood
Margaret Atwood and Alice Munro Interview: Canadian Writing Royalty Hang Out (VIDEO)
6) And, just in case you did not notice, there was a lot in the news in terms of magazine coverage (and covers) over the past few months of two of the two most talked about 2016 presidential candidates. Very interesting to look at how the media are treating these candidates and to note how powerful the cover images they use are.
And the explanation for how it came about: