Position: Copyediting Intern (For Credit)
Open Road Integrated Media seeks a summer intern to work 15 to 20 hours per week in the quiet but deadline-driven publishing operations department. This is a for-credit internship position.
The copyediting intern will play a vital role in assisting the in-house copyeditor with a variety of tasks in the realms of proofreading and research, with the end goal of contributing to the overall quality, consistency, and factual integrity of Open Road’s written materials. Types of copy that the intern will read include book descriptions, metadata, and author biographies.
The Open Road catalog encompasses a wide variety of authors, including Pearl S. Buck, Michael Chabon, Michael Crichton, Carl Hiaasen, Gloria Steinem, Alice Walker, Stan and Jan Berenstain, and Ann M. Martin, as well as publishing partners such as Abrams, Conjunctions, MysteriousPress.com, Rizzoli, and Yale University Press.
• Proofread and fact-check book descriptions, author bios, and praise quotations
• Review final copy on our website and in our title management system for clean formatting
• Review metadata (author names, book titles, etc.) for factual accuracy and consistent use of house style
• Assist in development of in-house style guides
• Superior eye for detail
• Excellent understanding of English-language mechanics
• Great communication skills, both written and verbal
• Comfort meeting hard deadlines
• Can-do attitude
• Ability to work independently and responsibly
• Comfort using the track changes function in Microsoft Word
• Demonstrated interest in next-generation publishing
• Familiarity with The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th ed., and Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary, 11th ed., a plus
Open Road is a fast-paced, high-profile startup—details and deadlines are of the essence. This is a fantastic opportunity for the right individual to learn about copyediting and digital publishing from the ground up.
Please contact Prof. Jane Denning at email@example.com if you are interested in applying.