Position: Copy editor
Publishers Weekly is looking for a full-time copy editor who is highly organized, dedicated to detail, and passionate about grammar, punctuation, and fact-checking.
Candidates must have at least two years of copyediting experience. The ideal candidate will have five or more years of experience copyediting, preferably at a weekly or daily publication (deadlines are crucial); knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel, Adobe InCopy, and K4; experience working with digital media; and familiarity with the book publishing business.
We’re seeking to fill this position as soon as possible.
To Apply: Please send your résumé with a covering letter to email@example.com. Please include your annual salary requirements in the letter (note that we will only consider applicants who provide this information).
Position: Trade Editorial Assistant
Location: New York, NY
Description: W.W. Norton & Company is seeking an Editorial Assistant to support two trade editors. This is a full-time, entry level position.
Essential job responsibilities include:
• Management of manuscripts in all stages of production; preparing manuscripts for copyediting and production.
• Professionally interacting with authors, production, marketing, and sales staff to relay messages, follow-up on requests/information and in general, anticipating when to proactively act on messages.
• Administrative management: organizing and maintaining files; tracking manuscripts and reviews; faxing, copying, printing, and emailing.
• Generating promotional copy for catalogs, book jackets, and sales-related materials.
• Creating and editing Excel and Word documents to support projects and/or office responsibilities.
• Bachelor’s degree.
• Employment eligibility to work with W.W. Norton & Company in the US is required.
• Must be able to work full business hours.
• Excellent organizational, verbal, and written communications skills.
• Strong interest in cooking and non-fiction books.
• Must be able to anticipate needs and deliver timely, relevant solutions and actions.
• Must be able to develop rapport and relationships with all levels of employees. Must be seen as knowledgeable and capable of handling sensitive, critical information.
• Must be proactive, flexible and adaptive in a rapidly changing environment and adjust with a “can-do” attitude.
• Must be self-directed and independent.
• Must have good time management skills, be organized, and be capable of multi-tasking across departments, activities, and projects.
• Must be detail-oriented, making sure that all aspects of their daily activities are handled with accuracy, with minimal mistakes.
• Mastery of email and calendar management tools, specifically Outlook.
• Proficiency in Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
To Apply: Qualified candidates should apply by sending a copy of their resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to indicate the job you are applying to in the subject line. Please note that this job description is not designed to cover all activities required of the employee. W.W. Norton & Company is an equal employment opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, or any other protected factor.