Location: New York, NY, US
Job Posting Title: Project Editor, College Digital Media, music emphasis
Classification: Full-Time Exempt
Job Function: Editorial
W.W. Norton & Company is the oldest and largest publishing house owned wholly by its employees. W.W. Norton & Company strives to carry out the imperative of its founder to “publish books not for a single season, but for the years in the areas of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry”. For more information about the Company, please visit us online at: http://www.wwnorton.com.
Project Editor, Digital Media, with emphasis on music
W. W. Norton & Company is seeking a Digital Media Project Editor for its college textbook department. This position will report directly to the Managing Editor, College Digital Media. Working closely with the editorial and production teams, the Digital Media Project Editor will be responsible for managing all aspects of editorial production for digital media projects across all disciplines, but with a specific focus on the music content.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Manage and help edit various digital media projects with an emphasis on the music content (including such products as Interactive Listening Guides, our online adaptive quizzing system, ebooks, Coursepacks, StudySpace, Interactive Instructor’s Guides, etc.) through all aspects of production, overseeing and evaluating the copy editors, proofreaders, and other relevant freelancers to maintain quality control and timely delivery of products.
- Help devise and enforce schedules.
- Collaborate closely with editorial colleagues to ensure quality and timeliness of materials.
- Document management: help organize and maintain files, following strict naming conventions to maintain version control.
- Help ensure accuracy of musical notation images, audio examples, and in-text musical symbols.
- Respond to editorial and musical queries from copyeditors and proofreaders.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Employment eligibility to work with W. W. Norton & Company in the U.S. is required
- Must be able to work full business hours.
- At least two years prior experience in publishing in the project editorial/production editorial role, preferably in college publishing. If the candidate has subject matter experience in music, this can be flexible.
- Must be highly disciplined, self-motivated, and flexible to the various pressures and changing priorities of the demands of any given project and manage complex workloads.
- Excellent organizational, verbal, and written communications skills.
- Must be extremely detail oriented.
- Must have excellent copyediting and proofreading skills to edit editorial and musical content, as well as proficiency to check product functionality. A copyediting and proofreading test will be given.
- Reads music fluently.
- Subject matter expertise in music theory and music history is not required, but a plus.
- Must handle working in a digital environment. Proficiency in Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Adobe Acrobat Pro, Googledocs, Basecamp. Familiarity with Photoshop, HTML, audio editing software, and different content management systems a plus.
Qualified candidates should apply by sending a copy of their resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to specify which job you are applying for in the subject line.
Please note: this job description is not designed to cover all activities required of the employee.
W.W. Norton & Company is an equal employment opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, or any other protected factor.