Assistant Director, Publications Unit
Department of English
The Department of English at Illinois State University invites applications for a nine-month, continuous administrative/professional position as Assistant Director of the Publications Unit. The Assistant Director:
- trains and supervises graduate and undergraduate student interns;
- instructs the Introduction to Professional Publishing course and potentially other courses in the Assistant Director’s areas of expertise;
- edits and proofs text for all creative and scholarly publications supported by the Unit;
- assists with the production of journals and books;
- manages content on a Unit website;
- assists with writing grant applications;
- oversees marketing projects for creative journals;
- collaborates with the Director in Unit activities.
- Master’s degree in English, publishing, or a closely related field
- Administrative or leadership experience in a publishing unit, press center, or other publishing organization
- Professional knowledge of publishing processes and techniques
- Experience using Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office, and FileMaker in a professional production environment
- Editing and proofreading skills
- Digital publishing experience (e.g. e-books, web editing, and design)
- Background in event planning and community engagement
Initial review of application will begin April 17, 2015, and continue until the position is filled. Applications must be received no later than April 17th for full consideration. An application along with a resume/curriculum vita, cover letter articulating interest in and qualifications for the position, digital portfolio of professional publications, syllabus for an Introduction to Professional Publishing course (ENG 254), teaching philosophy statement, and reference list (specifically the names, addresses, telephone numbers, and e-mail addresses of at least three professional references) must be submitted online at www.IllinoisState.edu/jobs.
Founded in 1991, the ISU Publications Unit is an educational center for literary and scholarly publishing. The Unit currently manages the production of publications including creative, literary, and scholarly works.
The ISU English Department emphasizes an English Studies model in its undergraduate, MA, and PhD programs, and includes scholars in the fields of Children’s Literature, Composition, Creative Writing, English Education, Linguistics, Literary and Cultural Studies, Publishing Studies, Rhetoric, TESOL, and Technical Communication. Our Department faculty and graduate students are a community of diverse scholars who value collaborative and interdisciplinary work. For additional information about ISU and our department, please consult english.illinoisstate.edu.
Illinois State University is an EOE/AA employer. Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran