Location: New York, NY
Description: Thieme Publishers Inc., an award-winning international medical and science publisher, seeks a well-organized and creative candidate as an Editorial Assistant in our Educational publishing group who will support our acquisitions and developmental editorial team in its management of authors and manuscripts in medicine, dentistry, and communication sciences. With changes to medical school curriculum and the adoption of digital technologies in education, it is an exciting time of growth for our education group. The Editorial Assistant will work primarily with our internal team, and occasionally with authors who are significant contributors to their fields, to create books, e-books, online learning programs, and ancillary content for the same such as supporting videos and animations, slidedecks, and assessments.
Major Responsibilities include:
- Assists Acquisitions Editors with administrative tasks related to signing contract including contracts, financial forms, and records, for signing new and revision projects.
- Assists Acquisition Editors in creating documents needed for internal presentations.
- Works with Developmental Editors to distribute author instructions/ reminders and to obtain manuscripts.
- Supports team by maintaining internal team records of all current projects and internal company records of same projects.
- Acts as general liaison for inter-departmental communications from Marketing, Customer Service, and e-Products.
- Assists with the development of translation projects
The Editorial Assistant collaborates with:
- the editorial services department to ensure accurate delivery of final manuscript and ensure on-time publication of high-quality products in print and digital form
- the e-product development group on content flow to and feature development for our e-platforms
- marketing and sales departments to provide information to support the development of marketing plans, promotional messages and sales meetings
- customer service and operations staff to assist them in ensuring that accurate product information is available to all customers
Required Skills and Background:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Self-starter with strong organizational and project management skills and the ability to juggle multiple ongoing projects at once in a fast-paced and collaborative environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to form working relationships with a diverse set of stakeholders including authors, contributors, students, faculty, and internal team-members
- Interest in and ability to think creatively about the fields of physical and life sciences a plus.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint required. Knowledge of Adobe Acrobat, Creative Suite, and XML a plus.
For more information on how to apply, please e-mail Professor Jane Denning at email@example.com.