Editorial Assistant – LBYR Licensing Group
Location: New York, NY
The LBYR Licensing group is seeking an editorial assistant. The editorial assistant will provide administrative and editorial support to the Editorial Director and two senior editors in a bustling licensed children’s publishing group. Brands published by this group include Monster High, Ever After High, My Little Pony, Marvel, and many more! The ideal candidate will have a strong interest in media tie-in publishing, be able to thrive in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment, possess outstanding organizational skills, and have the ability to juggle multiple projects at a time. Strong written and verbal communication skills are essential, as is a keen interest in further developing existing editorial skills.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Correspond directly with authors, agents, and licensors to route approvals, address queries, and help keep projects on track
Provide some data entry support as needed, and perform various administrative tasks in support of the licensing team
Prepare title fact sheets, catalog copy, and flap copy for assigned titles
Provide materials and information for sales, marketing, and publicity for assigned titles
Coordinate reprints and repurposing projects
Read and report on manuscripts, proposals and books submitted for publication
Work closely with the Editorial Director on middle grade fiction novels, assisting with all aspects of the editorial process
B.A. preferred, as well as 1 year of publishing experience (internships ok) in a professional environment
Solid knowledge of PowerPoint, Microsoft Office Word, Outlook and Excel on a Mac platform required
Ability to attend to details and juggle multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment
A familiarity with pop culture, and an enthusiasm for films and television
Strong written and verbal communication skills
Excellent organizational skills with the ability to multi-task, prioritize and manage time effectively while also ensuring accuracy of work through attention to detail
Ability to work well independently or in collaboration with the rest of the team
Apply online here.
Administrative Assistant – No Starch Press
Location: San Francisco, CA
No Starch Press, a fast-growing publisher of quality books for geeks, seeks a Publishing Assistant. This is an entry-level position on the business side of the book business with the opportunity for advancement. We’ll make you part of our team and give you real work from day one.
We publish quality books (both print and electronic) on programming, security, hacking, LEGO, and science and math. Best-sellers include titles like Hacking: The Art of Exploitation, Practical Malware Analysis, Python for Kids, and The LEGO Neighborhood Book.
This is a great opportunity if you don’t want to be just another cog in the wheel of some giant corporation and you like to think. We’re a small company with a close-knit environment and a staff that cares and an almost academic environment.
As our Publishing Assistant you will be expected to:
- Provide excellent customer support
- Process reseller orders
- Work with our shipping clerk to review and fill direct orders
- Maintain inventory and supplies and keep the office in order
- Coordinate mailings
- Other supporting duties as assigned
This is not an editorial or writing position *but* you should be able to write and communicate clearly in English.
Please reply with resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Marketing Assistant – Dutton
Location: New York, NY
We are seeking a Marketing Assistant to join our Dutton imprint at Penguin Random House! The Assistant will report to the VP, Associate Publisher and the Director of Marketing, and will have the opportunity to learn about various marketing projects at a large publishing company. Dutton publishes both fiction and nonfiction titles, many of them by bestselling authors Harlan Coben, Ken Follett, Lisa Gardner, Tami Hoag, among others.
Specific responsibilities include:
1. Providing administrative support, such as answering phones, setting up meetings, and managing calendars.
2. Pulling marketing lists and handling mailings.
3. Updating and maintaining information about budgets, and keeping track of expenses.
4. Participating in brainstorming sessions for marketing initiatives for Dutton?s titles.
5. Assisting in marketing analysis and research for select authors and titles.
6. Preparing for sales meetings, including proofreading and updating title information sheets and reading materials.
7. Writing and proofreading select sell sheets for the Sales department.
8. Assisting with sales requests, such as providing marketing materials.
9. Contributing ideas for social media posts to the Dutton accounts.
- 4 year college degree or equivalent work experience
- Outstanding organizational skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to prioritize multiple responsibilities in a deadline driven environment
- Strong interest in marketing and book publishing
- Ability to multitask
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Proficiency with social media platforms, such as Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram
Please apply using the online application process, and please include your resume and cover letter.
Editor – Hay House
Location: New York, NY
This role is responsible for all areas of book development, including acquiring, editing, and liaising with design, production, managing editorial, marketing, and publicity. Strong personal interest in and professional knowledge of self-help, health/wellness, and spirituality categories required.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
• Acquire 5–8 titles per year
• Edit approximately 12–15 new books per year
• Take responsibility for all editorial aspects of book development, including editing and liaising with design, production, marketing, and publicity
• Write copy, including jacket, catalog, tip sheet, design memo, and other marketing copy as required
• Act as primary point of contact for authors throughout the editorial process
• Minimum 5 years’ experience in book editorial publishing
• Widespread knowledge of book publishing processes and functions (editorial, production, design, copyediting, marketing, sales)
• Excellent intra- and inter-departmental communication and collaboration skills necessary
• Excellent computer skills especially Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook; experience with InDesign, InCopy, and Microsoft Word style sheets preferred
• Considerable current contacts (key authors, illustrators, agents, etc.) in the book publishing industry
• High level of skill in organization, analytics, and verbal and written communication
• Highly motivated, a self-starter, and results driven, with the ability to take appropriate steps to achieve goals
Contact Email (email@example.com)