eBook Production Assistant – W. W. Norton
Location: New York, NY
W.W. Norton is seeking an Ebook Production Assistant to assist our ebook staff with quality assurance, corrections to ebook files, distribution to e-retailers, help desk inquiries, egalley creation and distribution, writing and sending ebook conversion specifications and routine departmental tasks.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
• Perform quality assurance and tracking for all distributee clients, ensuring that schedules are adhered to and clients are informed of title progress.
• Make routine corrections to existing ebook files. Maintain an archive of reprint correction documentation, both fulfilled and planned.
• Transmit ebook specifications and files to ebook conversion partners.
• Assist the ebook distributor in tracking and distributing ebooks through our online distribution hub and help document the steps in database tracking.
• Assist the departmental manager in routine tasks.
• Bachelor’s degree
• Employment eligibility to work with W.W. Norton & Company in the US is required.
• Must be able to work full business hours in our NY office.
• 1-2 years of ebook production experience desired, though not required.
• Must be highly organized, disciplined, and self-motivated.
• Must have excellent organizational, verbal, and written communications skills.
• Must have good time management skills, be organized, and be capable of multi-tasking across departments, activities, and projects.
• Must be detail-oriented, making sure that all aspects of their daily activities are handled with accuracy and minimal mistakes.
• Must be self-directed and independent.
• Must have a demonstrated interest in the challenges and opportunities of an ever-changing publishing industry.
• Proficiency in Word, Excel a must. Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite, including Indesign and Photoshop as well as Filemaker Pro a plus.
Qualified candidates should apply by sending a copy of their resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to indicate the title of the job you are applying for in the subject line.
Editorial Assistant – Berkley (PRH)
Location: New York, NY
We have an exciting job opening as an Editorial Assistant in our Berkley imprint at Penguin Random House! Reporting directly to an Executive Editor, the Editorial Assistant will provide administrative support, write marketing sheets, read and evaluate manuscripts, and oversee the manuscript production process. This Editorial Assistant will focus on hardcover, quality commercial/commercial literary fiction.
Specific responsibilities include:
1. Providing administrative support to the supervisor, which includes handling correspondences, answering phones, taking messages, making photocopies, filing, and keeping track of supervisors’ schedules and department projects’ due dates.
2. Liaising with authors and agents during the publication process.
3. Evaluating manuscripts by reading them, writing reader’s reports, and writing and sending rejection letters.
4. Overseeing entire production process from finished manuscript to bound book, and acting as a liaison amongst in-house departments during this process.
5. Writing marketing sheets for the sales department.
6. Preparing editorial letters and line editing manuscripts, once acclimated to basic duties.
- 4 year college degree or equivalent work experience
- Prior office experience
- Interest in the publishing industry
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to prioritize multiple assignments
- Strong attention to detail
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to multitask and follow-up
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Word
Please apply using our online application process here, and please include your resume and cover letter.
Assistant Publishing Manager – Scribner (S&S)
Location: New York, NY
-Work with Associate Publisher to schedule and follow-up on in-house meetings.
-Organize and disseminate background material for in-house meetings and sales conferences, and prepare follow-up material for those meetings.
-Liaison for Scribner’s publisher’s office and editors with marketing, ad/promo, publicity, and sales departments.
-Track and route catalog copy, galleys and ARCs, jackets and covers.
-Assist Scribner editors and editorial assistants in preparing materials for in-house meetings and sales conferences.
-Take minutes at weekly marketing meeting and weekly title-specific meetings and follow up on outstanding items
-Prepare weekly marketing update for Scribner.
-Schedule, track and curate content for the Scribner Magazine site
-Assist Associate Publisher with editorial work on 3 – 4 books/year – pass for press, changes to/from authors, blues, catalog copy, flap copy, etc.
-Routine clerical work: filing, answering phones, sorting mail, monthly expense report, attendance sheets, mailings, daily sales reports and bestseller lists, etc.
-Manage metadata for backlist and keep staff informed on metadata procedures.
-Request and track reading group guides
-Co-ordinate finished book mailings with editors and marketing department
-Manage Goodreads giveaways
- College Graduate
- Minimum 2 years publishing experience
- Computer literate: WORD, Excel, Microsoft Outlook. Well-organized and able to work independently and to juggle a variety of tasks.
- Social media and WordPress experience a plus
Apply online here.
Publishing Assistant – Diversion Books
Location: New York, NY
Diversion Books, a fast-paced, innovative indie publisher, is seeking a dynamic and self-starting individual to join the team as an assistant to the vice president. Our small staff is enthusiastic, rigorous, and dedicated to the world of books and we are hoping for an A+ multi-tasker and team player that brings enthusiasm, incredible organization, a passion for great books, and unique vision to the workplace. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to work closely with the executive staff and will be engaged in all things related to business operations and development.
What we’re looking for:
• A bachelor’s degree
• A great personality with the ability to confidently communicate at all levels
• Interest in business management and business development
• A self-starter with a keen eye for detail and planning
• General assistance the vice president and executive team, including scheduling, correspondence, and project tracking
• Some administrative duties
• Assistance with business systems and operations
The successful candidate must have the following skills:
• Ability to multitask and coordinate multiple projects at once in a fast-paced environment; must be able to maintain a high level of responsibility; strong attention to detail and follow-through a must
• Excellent organization and project planning skills with flexibility and openness to new ideas
• Excellent communication skills and the ability to work both independently and as part of a tight-knit team
• Excellent command of Microsoft Office
• Excellent mathematical and problem-solving skills
• Some familiarity with the publishing industry a plus
• Familiarity with Quickbooks a plus
|Submit cover letter and resume to Mary Cummings (email@example.com) with the subject line: Publishing Assistant Application|