Art Department Assistant – Penguin Random House
Location: New York, NY
Penguin Random House is looking for an Assistant to support the Art department, which works on titles for our Blue Rider, Penguin, Penguin Classics, Plume, and Viking imprints. This job opening is a great opportunity for someone who is interested in learning about the inner-workings of a fast-paced Art department in a large publishing house!
Specific responsibilities include:
1. Providing administrative support to the Art Manager and the department as needed.
2. Creating and updating databases, master lists, and individual title information sheets with cover/jacket statuses, title data, and art/design sources.
3. Collecting and verifying art and design sources for each cover/jacket as they are approved.
4. Assisting the manager in the licensing of images for book covers.
5. Processing cover images for uploading to online sites.
6. Fielding and responding to requests from internal departments for cover/jacket printouts and files.
7. Assisting staff designers with obtaining high-resolution images.
8. Processing departmental invoices for payment.
- 4 year college degree or equivalent work experience
- Prior office experience
- Ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines
- Excellent organizational skills and a strong ability to multitask
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel
- Knowledge of Mac systems
- Prior experience with Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, or Illustrator preferred
Editorial Assistant, Economics – W. W. Norton
Location: New York, NY
W. W. Norton & Company is seeking an Editorial Assistant to support editors of print supplements and online-learning content for college textbooks in Economics.
Essential job responsibilities include:
•Management of manuscripts in all stages of production – Sending manuscript to be reviewed by college instructors. Setting and adhering to schedules. Preparing manuscript for copyediting and production. Reviewing manuscript for content/grammar errors.
•Communication and message management – Professionally interacting with authors, college faculty, marketing, and sales staff to relay messages, follow-up on requests/information and in general, anticipating when to proactively act on messages (including relaying messages with a sense of urgency).
•Document management – Faxing, copying, printing, emailing. Organizing and maintaining files.
•Creating and editing Excel and Word documents to support projects and/or office responsibilities.
•Data Management – Extracting data from internal web based information portals. Aggregating data from various sources. Information gathering and following up.
•Project management – Collaborating with and providing support to media editorial team to move numerous different projects forward in order to meet publishing deadlines.
•Market research – Assisting media editor with research on market trends in online learning.
•Employment eligibility to work with W. W. Norton & Company in the US is required.
•Must be able to work full business hours from our NY office.
•Excellent organizational, verbal and written communications skills.
•Must be able to anticipate needs and deliver timely, relevant solutions and actions.
•Must be able to develop rapport and relationships with all levels of employees. Must be seen as knowledgeable and capable of handling sensitive, critical information.
•Must be proactive, flexible and adaptive in a rapidly changing environment and adjust with a “can-do” attitude.
•Must be self-directed and independent.
•Must have good time management skills, be organized, and be capable of multi-tasking and prioritizing across departments, activities, and projects.
•Must be detail-oriented, making sure that all aspects of their daily activities are handled with accuracy and minimal mistakes.
•Must have a demonstrated interest in the challenges and opportunities of electronic media as it applies to education and/or learning.
•Must have strong research skills.
•Must have a passion for learning new software programs.
•A background in and/or passion for economics is preferred.
•Proficiency in Word, PowerPoint, and Excel. Proficiency with both Windows and Mac OS. Proficiency with Photoshop and InDesign a plus.
•Mastery of email, calendar management, and file management tools.
Please note – this job description is not designed to cover all activities required of the employee.
|Qualified candidates should apply by sending a copy of their resume and cover letter to: email@example.com. Please be sure to indicate the position you are applying for in the subject line.|
Marketing Assistant – Simon & Schuster
Location: New York, NY
This position reports to the associate publisher and provides administrative support to the marketing group which includes four marketing managers overseeing the publication of over 200 titles per year. As a crucial link between S&S marketing staff and other depts, the marketing assistant will: Prepare & distribute seasonal & weekly selling materials to S&S sales group; Review catalog and online copy for every book published by the imprint; Prepare presentation materials for seasonal sales conferences; Track marketing expenditures for titles published under S&S imprint and process them through accounts payable; Write & distribute weekly report on marketing activity for all lead titles; Research & provide reporting on online influencers & communities crucial to success of books published under S&S imprint; and Contribute content & support for social media accounts managed by the imprint.
Previous experience in publishing is a requirement.
Apply online here.
Production Assistant – Rolling Stone
Location: New York, NY
Rolling Stone Magazine seeks a well organized, detail oriented, energetic, experienced design production professional. We are looking for an InDesign expert comfortable working on print layouts and digital files. He or she should have a demonstrable history of exceptional work for print editions and be proficient on all stages of magazine pre-press production working individually and as part of a team. The ideal candidate will be highly organized with a knack for project management, in addition to having good communication skills. The position reports directly to the design director and will work in collaboration with the magazine art direction team.
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
• Flowing text using Adobe InDesign (K4) and InCopy.
• Applying and maintaining copy and typographic formatting.
• Advancing layout and cover designs through editorial/copy editing process.
• Inputting changes from the art and editorial departments and circulating proofs.
• Specifying color correction and retouching requests for high resolution imaging.
• Placing high-resolution art in layouts and using Photoshop to convert image file formats and color specifications.
• Placing fractional ads into existing layouts when needed.
• Producing and publishing PDF versions of covers and various layouts for use online and/or for promotional use.
• Trouble shooting production requirements for unusual printing demands especially on covers.
• Preparing final Epson proofs of all pages and covers to confirm quality before going to press.
• Offering general support to art department with a wide range of tasks, making clipping paths and other digital modifications to art etc.
• Executing elaborate digital design refinements when needed on covers.
• Providing production support for Rolling Stone special interest publications throughout development and pre press stages.
• Minimum 3-5 years experience in print production for magazines or other comparable high quality print publications
• Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite programs: CS6 (InDesign/K4, InCopy, Photoshop, Illustrator)
• Experience with PDF formatting
• Knowledge of XML and procedures for attaching art to files in Adobe InDesign K4.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
• Ability to multi-task and shift priorities in a fast-paced, lively environment
Apply online at Mediabistro.com