Penguin Random House is currently seeking a Production Assistant to assist in all aspects of book production. The Production department manages the manufacturing of our books, and also estimates and monitors book costs, selects vendors, and oversees quality control. This position provides exciting insight into book production at a publishing company!
Specific responsibilities include:
1. Handling the estimating and purchasing for all facets of book manufacturing (composition, component and text printing, and binding) for the Production Assistant’s own titles.
2. Working with other departments and vendors to keep production on schedule.
3. Maintaining Excel status report and keeping titles on schedule.
4. Maintaining and updating all titles in SAP.
5. Routing and keeping track of materials to other departments and vendors including covers, jackets, proofs, book copies, etc.
6. Checking all printed covers for the proper price.
7. Providing administrative support for the department, including filing, faxing, photocopying, etc.
8. Coding and approving invoices.
9. Picking up department packages, wrapping packages, and preparing UPS and messenger pick-ups.
10. Attending and participating in biweekly reprint meetings.
• 4 year college degree or equivalent work experience
• Interest in book production or book publishing
• Excellent organizational skills
• Strong communication skills
• Outstanding attention to detail
• Ability to push or pull up to 20 lbs.
• Excellent ability to multitask and prioritize
• Proficiency in MS Office (Excel, Word, and Outlook)
• Knowledge of SAP preferred
About the company:
Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution. Our vibrant and diverse international community of nearly 250 publishing brands and imprints include Ballantine Bantam Dell, Berkley Books, Clarkson Potter, Crown, DK, Doubleday, Dutton, Fodor’s, Grosset & Dunlap, Little Golden Books, Knopf, Modern Library, Pantheon, Penguin Books, Penguin Press, Penguin Random House Audio, Penguin Young Readers, Portfolio, Puffin, Putnam, Random House, Random House Children’s Books, Riverhead, Ten Speed Press, Viking, and Vintage, among others. More information can be found at penguinrandomhouse.com.
Penguin Random House values the array of talents and perspectives that a diverse workforce brings. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Salary for this position is $35,500. Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program.
Submit application to:
Please apply using our online application process, and please include your resume and cover letter.