The Writers House Intern Program is searching for applicants! Please take note of the following to see if this internship is the right opportunity for you:
- The applicant pool can be as high as 1200 for the approximately 16 slots that support our agents, the 1 slot that supports our Subsidiary Rights Department, and the 1 slot that supports our Digital Strategy Department. So, it is not unusual for even high-quality candidates to have to apply several times before receiving admittance.
- Applicants who advance to the interview rounds are required to review at least one manuscript and compose a reader’s report. It isn’t unusual for applicants to compose 2 or 3 different reader’s reports.
- Each term is 16 weeks. (No more, no less)
- Interns are accepted with the mutual understanding they are committing at least 8 weeks to the program and won’t actively seek employment (in or out of publishing) during those weeks. Interns may put Writers House on their resume and begin seeking work in publishing after the successful completion of Week 8.
- All interns are required to work 24 hours a week (No more, no less).
- All interns work between the hours of 10 a.m. and 6 p.m.
- All interns rotate into shifts in Accounting/ Contracts, the Front Desk, and serve on a Digital Team.
- All interns participate in the weekly Intern Meetings where they learn both the editorial process (from the purview of an agency) and how to effectively search-out and apply for publishing jobs. The Intern Meetings are on Wednesday, from 4-6pm; so, Wednesday is a mandatory day for all interns.
- Interns also receive Tutorials on a variety of publishing-specific skill sets and subjects. These Tutorials are facilitated over by senior agents, junior agents, assistants, and senior staff.
- In the Evening Seminars, former interns return to discuss their careers in editorial, production, publicity, marketing, sales, scouting, and agenting.
- One-on-One sessions are regularly scheduled to make certain the intern is progressing.
Students interested in the position should send their materials as soon as possible to:
Director, Writers House Intern Program