175 5th ave.
New York, NY
Macmillan is a group of media companies in the United States held by Verlagsgruppe Georg von Holtzbrinck, based in Stuttgart, Germany, which publishes a wide range of books, magazines, and digital products for the consumer and education markets. Our American publishers include Farrar, Straus and Giroux, Henry Holt & Company, W.H. Freeman and Worth Publishers, Bedford/St. Martin’s, Picador, Roaring Brook Press, St. Martin’s Press, Tor Books, Hayden McNeil, Macmillan Children’s Group, Macmillan Audio and Bedford Freeman & Worth Publishing Group. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to reflecting a broad representation of differences –race, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, physical ability, age, family status, economic background and status, geographical background and status, and perspective — in our workplace. The successful candidate for this position will be an employee of St Martin’s Press, LLC.
• College degree
• Talent for working and problem-solving independently
• Extreme attention to detail
• Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
• Love of creating and flawlessly executing processes with an eye towards constant improvement
• Ability to multi-task and work within a fast-paced environment with eye towards being proactive
• Very strong Excel skills. Knowledge of Google Docs and Google forms a plus
• Ability to learn publishing information system software quickly and thoroughly
• 2-4 years of experience in publishing, marketing, production, or operations preferred
• Manage and improve the ARC, galley, bound manuscript, and blad processes
• Supervise and streamline special projects including autographed editions, international editions, bookclub editions, library run-ons, and value editions
• Maintain NetGalley and Edelweiss digital galley programs
• Oversee the creation and solicitation of floor displays and prepacks
• Organize backmatter material for trade paperbacks and ebooks
• Manage seasonal trade paperback shootdowns
• Coordinate seasonal late-adds and drop-in titles
If you are interested in this position click here to apply.
Simon & Schuster, a part of CBS Corporation, is a global leader in the field of general interest publishing, dedicated to providing the best in fiction and nonfiction for consumers of all ages, across all printed, electronic, and audio formats. Its divisions include Simon & Schuster Adult Publishing, Simon & Schuster Children’s Publishing, Simon & Schuster Audio, Simon & Schuster Digital, and international companies in Australia, Canada, India and the United Kingdom.
• 2-3 years book publicity experience.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Fluency with current media trends and developing promotional platforms.
• Proven ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven, collaborative environment.
• Strong organizational skills and detail-oriented nature.
•Proficiency with Publicity Assistant and Cision.
• Pitching and securing national and regional media, including print, television, online and radio.
• Arranging and assembling multi-city book tours and author appearances.
• Writing press releases, targeted pitch letters, author bios and other promotional materials.
• Creating targeted mailing lists.
• Cultivating and maintaining media relationships.
If you are interested, click here to apply.
Bloomsbury USA is a general interest publisher of adult and children’s books. Established in 1998 as an American subsidiary of Bloomsbury Publishing PLC (British publisher of, among others, J.K. Rowling) they are the publisher of the bestselling books The Bone Season, Salvage the Bones, The Finkler Question, Logicomix, Pearl of China, Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, Rats, Schott’s Original Miscellany,My Horizontal Life, and Kitchen Confidential ; as well as works by award-winning writers Jesmyn Ward, Howard Jacobson, Anchee Min, Rowan Jacobson, Alan Hollinghurst, William Boyd, Melissa Fay Greene, Robert Sullivan, and David Leavitt.
• Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
• Extremely well organized and possess strong attention to detail and follow-up skills.
• Excellent time management skills, strong organizational, writing and communication skills, and work well within a team and individually.
• Proficiency with Outlook, Word, and Excel required.
• Familiarity with Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, and other social media platforms.
• Coordinate website features, including choosing titles, writing copy, and working with design team.
• Play a supporting role in our social media outreach, including executing plans, posting, running giveaways, and contributing creative ideas and liaising with our global offices.
• Coordinate mailings, including writing accompanying letters.
• Create and/or write copy for marketing materials such as sellsheets, flyers, postcards, bookmarks, etc.
• Manage School & Library awards submissions and tracking, as well as maintain a detailed record of awards lists results for sales reference.
• Research and update important committee and contact information in Publicity Assistant.
• Assist Marketing Manager with preparation for School & Library conferences.
• Assist with general marketing department administrative tasks, such as Netgalley and sending out requested review copies.
• Work collaboratively with global marketing team to share ideas and plans.
To apply, please submit cover letter, resume and salary requirements as an MS Word document to firstname.lastname@example.org. Indicate “Trade Marketing Assistant” in your subject line. Resumes without cover letters will not be considered.
Timber Press is a publisher located in Portland, Oregon. Our mission is to share the wonders of the natural world by publishing books from experts in the fields of gardening, horticulture, and natural history. Grow with us!
The Timber Press art department builds beautiful, essential books for gardeners, landscape professionals, scientists, foragers, hikers, and plant lovers. We invite the reader to explore the natural world, whether in the garden, in the wild, or in the pages of a well-designed book.
• At least 3 years of professional experience in book design and production, including the ability to prepare electronic files for press
• Demonstrated skills and experience in the design, structuring, layout, and production of professionally printed, bound, and manufactured books.
• Proven skills in Adobe Creative Suite applications—expert level in InDesign and Acrobat, high proficiency in Illustrator, and a working understanding of Photoshop and Bridge. Fluency in MS Excel and Word also preferred.
• Extensive experience working with typography and typesetting in a publishing environment.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Our books are written, read, and depended upon by experts in their fields. As such, our work requires an unfailing dedication to accuracy and procedure—and all of the checklists, style guides, and quality assurance checks that such rigor demands.
• An interest in plants, gardening, and/or natural sciences is recommended, but not required.
• Must have close visual acuity
• Cannot be color blind
• Must be able to stand, bend, lift, and stoop
• Must be able to lift and carry up to 25 pounds
• Must be able to sit or stand in one location for extended periods of time
• Design, lay out, and produce book interiors, including: design and market research; book design, type specifications, and layout; page revisions and text corrections; and preparing books for delivery to the printer.
• Research, design, and produce book covers and jackets.
• Prepare and present your own work at critiques and design meetings.
• Productively encourage, receive, and synthesize criticism of your work, and the work of your team, from a variety of stakeholders, both locally and from our parent companies in New York and Massachusetts.
• Manage freelance designers for cover design, interior design, layout and production.
• Build and maintain a pool of freelance designers, illustrators, and photographers.
• Manage art and illustration programs, including budgets, illustration development, and commissioning and managing freelance illustrators.
• Research art, typography, illustrators, photographers, and designers.
• Collaborate with editors, designers, marketing and production staff throughout the book development and creation process.
• Other tasks as required.
To apply, please send a cover letter, résumé, your annual salary requirements, and work samples to email@example.com.
Applications will be accepted until the close of business on 14 November, 2016.