Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution. Our vibrant and diverse international community of nearly 250 publishing brands and imprints include Ballantine Bantam Dell, Berkley, Clarkson Potter, Crown, DK, Doubleday, Dutton, Fodor’s, Grosset & Dunlap, Little Golden Books, Knopf, Modern Library, Pantheon, Penguin Books, Penguin Press, Penguin Random House Audio, Penguin Young Readers, Portfolio, Puffin, Putnam, Random House, Random House Children’s Books, Riverhead, Ten Speed Press, Viking, and Vintage, among others.
• Produce approximately 15 paper products and gift books annually, focused on design, illustration, calligraphy, literary trivia and wordplay for bibliophiles, children’s product for cool parents, and spirituality
• Identify new talent, including authors, graphic designers, artists, and illustrators
• Exhibit a strong interest in product design and ability to collaborate with our award-winning design and production departments
• Partner with the marketing and publicity departments to develop strategic plans and opportunities for acquired titles
• Excellent verbal, writing, presentation, and visual skills; strong organizational capability; attention to detail; and enthusiasm for an entrepreneurial approach to acquiring are essential
• Candidates must have a minimum of 5 years of editorial experience
• Strong agent contacts and interest in discovering new talent through the online creative community, blogs, traditional media, and category networks
• Thorough knowledge of illustrated book and stationery production process
If you are interested in applying, please click here.
Sterling Publishing is an innovative and forward-thinking publishing company committed to creating books that inspire and entertain.
With over 5,000 titles in print and 60 years in business, Sterling’s reputation for publishing quality books comes from a variety of imprints led by dedicated editorial and creative design teams that bring great ideas and stories to readers of every age. From educational resources, children’s picture books, puzzles and games, adult fiction, craft and photography, cookbooks, self-help, classics and more, Sterling’s list offers something for everyone.
Sterling Publishing and its crafting division, Lark Books, are based in New York City.
• 4-year college degree or equivalent work experience.
• Minimum 5-7 years of acquisition/editorial experience in acquiring and developing non-fiction trade illustrated books.
• Proven ability to cultivate and maintain working relationships both internally and externally.
• Excellent writing skills, extreme attention to detail and multitasking.
• Proven ability to successfully manage multiple projects simultaneously.
• Strong project management and organizational skills.
• Proficiency with Photoshop, Microsoft Word, and Excel as well as Internet research.
• Proven knowledge of book development process.
• Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment
• Acquires, develops, and edits titles from manuscript to bound book including project management and research, and developmental and line editing.
• Presents projects at bi-weekly Editorial and Acquisitions meetings; creates project plans and profit/loss reports that consider unit costs, marketing & publicity, design/illustration fees, and editorial development.
• Works with managing editorial to determine and track schedules; finds and contacts freelance personnel to assist with projects, if necessary.
• Remains current in subject areas and anticipates category trends in related fields, as well as track sales reports.
• Cultivates and maintains author/co-edition/packager relationships.
• Creates well-developed book proposals, including coherent book concept, analysis of competition, overall vision, and profitability projections.
• Initiates and negotiates author/co-edition/packager contracts. Prepares term sheets and contract request packages.
• Presents titles at sales launch conferences.
• Prepares creative briefs, estimate requests and budgets/profit-loss reports as well as create and track bi weekly status reports.
• Partners with Art and Production Departments in planning creative implementation and overall production costs.
• Reviews and helps develop catalog and marketing copy.
• Maintains and tracks projects in title management database.
• Insures successful and timely publication of all responsible titles.
If you are interested in applying, please click here.
Time Out is the trusted global platform that inspires and enables people to experience the best of the city. Operating in 108 cities, across 39 countries, it has an average monthly global audience reach of over 137 million across all platforms.
No one knows the city like Time Out because we’ve been discovering the brilliant and searching out the secret and extraordinary since 1968. If you want to know about food, attractions, art, culture, shopping and nightlife, then Time Out is your social companion. With a world-class digital platform and top-quality curated content, Time Out connects brands and local businesses to the city. Now Time Out Market is taking that to the next stage, bringing the best of the city together under one roof enabling people to discover, book, live and share their experiences.
In the evolving digital world, our expertise and our growing community of Time Outers and Tastemakers put the very best of the city in the palm of your hand. We are global, and no one knows local better than we do.
• Experience in a web production environment.
• Proven ability to work with the various tools of the trade – content management systems; photo, video and audio editing software and a basic knowledge of HTML.
• A good understanding of SEO and how it shapes the content production process.
• Excellent writing, interviewing and copy editing skills.
• Ability to commission content for multiple platforms.
• Demonstrable track record of producing content that engages users and grows audience.
• Strong knowledge of Chicago with a desire to constantly be uncovering the latest and greatest things happening in the city.
• Proven ability to work effectively with editorial, marketing, commercial, design and technical teams.
• Direct staff in producing content across all platforms, covering the biggest events, inspiring readers to try new things and creates a cultural buzz.
• Prioritize content that drives audience growth and enhances Time Out’s brand reputation.
• Devise and plan feature content for all Time Out digital and print platforms and manage a content calendar and production schedule.
• Ensure content is delivered on time to the standards laid out by Time Out style guides.
• Edit content from other staff members and offer feedback to help them continue to grow.
• Work closely with the marketing team to ensure all digital content is well optimized and plan content and layouts to improve search ranking.
• Ensure that all relevant copyrights have been cleared and that content meets legal guidelines.
• Be responsible for overall journalistic integrity.
• Collaborate with Time Out teams globally to share strategic and content ideas and contribute ideas and content for Time Out platforms in all countries as needed.
• Line manage editors and producers, making sure assessments are completed regularly.
• With the marketing and commercial teams devise partnerships and events that increase awareness of the Time Out brand.
• Oversee the content on our social media channels and the moderation of user generated content.
• Make recommendations for enhancements to Time Out products where relevant to content.
• Test and approve new products and CMS enhancements and report any bugs or site performance issues to relevant Product teams.
If you interested in applying, click here.