The Overlook Press is an independent general-interest publisher, founded in 1971. The publishing program consists of approximately 100 new books per year, roughly divided between hardcovers and trade paperbacks. The list is eclectic, with areas of strength in fiction, history, biography, drama, design, and other visual media.
• 2-5 years’ experience in book publicity
• Strong contacts across all media
• Thorough and up-to-date knowledge of the digital and social media landscape
• Strong organizational abilities and superb written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team
• Plan and execute successful campaigns for a wide variety of books: literary and commercial fiction; and nonfiction in categories including history, memoir, science, sociology, politics, music, film, and art/design, among others
• Write press materials, including compelling press releases and creative, effective pitch letters
• Schedule interviews with broadcast, print, and online media, and coordinate multi-city book tours and author appearances
• Develop and maintain strong contacts across all media
• Work closely with marketing, sales, and editorial departments
• Publicize our books and authors creatively across all social media platforms
If you are interested in this position, please send a resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to email@example.com.
Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution. Our vibrant and diverse international community of nearly 250 publishing brands and imprints include Ballantine Bantam Dell, Berkley, Clarkson Potter, Crown, DK, Doubleday, Dutton, Grosset & Dunlap, Little Golden Books, Knopf, Modern Library, Pantheon, Penguin Books, Penguin Press, Penguin Random House Audio, Penguin Young Readers, Portfolio, Puffin, Putnam, Random House, Random House Children’s Books, Riverhead, Ten Speed Press, Viking, and Vintage, among others.
• 3+ years prior publishing experience, preferably in Copyright
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to prioritize workload & handle tight deadlines
• Exceptional organizational skills
• Familiarity with SAP is a plus
• Ability to work independently
• Responsible for analysis of third-party text usage within the Company’s publications and, if necessary, obtains and/or assists with permission clearances
• Corresponds with the Copyright Office located in Washington D.C. on matters relating to copyright registrations
• Checks copyright notices and acknowledgements in the Company’s publications (prior to publication) for conformity with the terms of the author contract and third-party permission agreements
• Responsible for scanning and filing copyright registration certificates
• Maintains personal and/or departmental files
• Performs detailed research as necessary
• Works closely with other departments within the Company
• Updates the Company database with information about newly published titles as well as amending existing entries as necessary
• Works with the Director to create and implement departmental policies
If you are interested in this position, please apply online.
ABRAMS is the preeminent publisher of high-quality illustrated books for adults, adolescents and young children. ABRAMS is the publisher of bestsellers such as the wildly popular “The Diary of A Wimpy Kid” series, award-winning cookbooks of Alton Brown and the stunning photography of Yann Arthus-Bertrand’s “Earth From Above” series.
• BFA preferred
• Well versed in Adobe Creative Suite, particularly InDesign.
• Ability to multi-task and work under tight deadlines¬
• A proactive person with strong communication and collaboration skills
• Portfolio required
• Awareness of current trends in children’s illustration and design and familiarity with freelance designers and illustration agencies
• Illustrator and design contacts a must
• Hand-lettering and illustration skills a plus
• Desire and ability to work collaboratively, respectfully, communicably, enthusiastically
• 3 years of book publishing experience
• Design YA and middle grade book covers and interiors from start to finish in collaboration with illustrators
• Will handle making corrections to reprints, preparing jacket mechanics, and formatting files and finishes for production
• Convert sample pages/images/spreads for ibland, ppt, catalog, trade shows, etc.
• Assist Art Director with direction of creative talent
• Help form the ABRAMS KIDS brand identify along with the Creative Director
• Ability to transcend the “design umbrella” and think editorially as well as consider the marketing and sales angles
If you are interested in applying, please email resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put the TITLE OF THE POSITION in the subject line.
Founded in 1970, Poets & Writers is respected and trusted as the primary source of information, support, and guidance for poets, fiction writers, and creative nonfiction writers. Their work is rooted in the belief that literature is vital to sustaining a vibrant culture. They focus on nurturing literature’s source: creative writers. Their mission is to foster the professional development of poets and writers, to promote communication throughout the literary community, and to help create an environment in which literature can be appreciated by the widest possible public.
• Excellent organizational skills and an ability to manage multiple tasks
• Good proofreading skills and an eye for detail
• Ability to edit following a style sheet
• Facility with InDesign, Adobe Photoshop, and Adobe Acrobat
• Familiarity with PC and Mac platforms, a plus
• Sales and customer service experience, a plus
• Motivated to reach sales goals
• Knowledge of accounts payable and accounts receivable procedures, a plus
• Knowledge of and interest in contemporary literature
• Provide customer service and process orders for all classified advertising
• Contact classified advertising prospects for each print issue and digital publication
• Coordinate proofreading of the classifieds section with freelance proofreader
• Flow classified ads into InDesign and make formatting changes
• Format, style, and post online classified ads
• Work with associate publisher to develop material to promote classified ad sales
• Work with associate publisher to research potential advertisers
• Regularly contact prospects for online job listings and administer job listings on pw.org and in the e-newsletter
• Assist with sales, design, proofreading, and production of display and online advertising
• Generate and send classified advertising invoices and assist accounting staff with the collections process
• Organize incoming payments by check for the accounting department and communicate with accounting staff about billing issues and irregularities
• Participate in meetings and other department activities
• Represent Poets & Writers at book fairs and industry events
If you are interested in applying, please send resume and cover letter to: Tim O’Sullivan, Associate Publisher, Poets & Writers, 90 Broad Street, Suite 2100, New York, NY 10004 or by e-mail to email@example.com. Attachments must be .doc, .rtf, or .pdf.