Farrar, Straus and Giroux: Spring 2018 Internship
Farrar, Straus and Giroux (FSG) is an imprint at Macmillan “renowned for its international list of literary fiction, nonfiction, poetry, and children’s books.” Many of FSG’s books and authors have won awards, including numerous National Book Awards, Pulitzer Prizes, and Nobel Prizes in literature.
FSG runs internships in the summer, fall, and winter/spring for students interested in entering the book publishing industry. FSG interns work in a variety of departments, including editorial, publicity, sales, contracts, and subsidiary rights. They work 18–25 hours per week for 10 to 12 weeks and are paid $11/hour.
If you would like to apply to FSG’s internship program, email a resume, cover letter, and short nonfiction writing sample (4–6 pages) to Steven.Pfau@fsgbooks.com. The deadline for the winter/spring term is November 15, and successful applicants will be notified by December 1.
For more information, click here.
Inkitt: Senior Publishing Editor
Inkitt is “the world’s first reader-powered book publisher.” As a platform for writing, sharing, and discovering stories, Inkitt allows writers to share their novels with the world. Through this practice, Inkitt is “challenging the industry and changing the ways bestsellers are found and shared.”
Inkitt is currently looking for a Senior Publishing Editor to manage the entire publication process “from initial author’s communication over cover and illustration design to creative promotion and distribution.”
- Implement creative distribution strategies for our algorithmic-selected books, both online and offline
- Manage a network of freelancers for copyediting, proofreading, and cover design
- Run promotional campaigns
- Have the responsibility and trust to work independently
- Experience the freedom and perks of a startup
- 3+ years of experience in US trade publishing
- Proven track record of elaborating on and implementing novel and creative distribution concepts
- Understanding of trends and best practices in both digital and print publishing
- Hands-on attitude – doesn’t shy away from completing a range of operational tasks
- Strong analytical mindset
- Good taste and gut-feeling on which books will fly
- Obsession with good stories
- Move-fast-and-break-things attitude (you get things done smartly and effectively)
For more information and to apply, click here.
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt: Editorial Intern
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt is “a global learning company dedicated to changing people’s lives by fostering passionate, curious learners.” It specializes in publishing books and learning tools for pre-K–12 students inside and outside the classroom. Some of its more notable publications include Curious George, The Giver, and Cliffnotes.
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt is looking for an intern to work with its Clarion Books editorial department. Interns will have the opportunity to observe and participate in all aspects of children’s book publishing, from the manuscript stage to finished books. The intern should have some previous office experience and a strong interest in books for young people and the publishing industry in general.
- Adminstrative work – send out mail, make copies, and scan documents
- Correspond with authors and illustrators
- Sit-in on editorial meetings
- Screen art and manuscript submissions
- Write readers reports
This is a part-time, paid internship with a start date on or about January 20, 2018. For more information and to apply, click here.