Open Road Integrated Media: Editorial and Design Spring 2018 Internships
Open Road Integrated Media is a global ebook publisher whose catalog includes legendary authors such as William Styron, Alice Walker, Dee Brown, Pat Conroy, Gloria Steinem, Octavia Butler, John Jakes, Pearl S. Buck, Walker Percy, and Sherman Alexie. It was founded on the idea “of bringing great literary works back to life.” It partners with select authors of classic and contemporary works, making all publications available to readers around the world.
Open Road is currently looking for a managing editorial intern and a book cover design intern for Spring 2018. These are unpaid internships, but you will get school credit.
Managing Editorial Intern
- Perform quality assurance of Open Road titles on major reading devices (iPad, Kindle, and others)
- Proofread POD files
- Enter descriptive copy and other metadata as needed into a title management system
- Create title and copyright pages
- Prep books for digitization
- Check current Open Road titles on Apple, Amazon, and other major retailers to ensure they are active and display correct metadata
- Assist in keeping title reports up-to-date and accurate
- Strong attention to detail
- Efficiently manage time and work independently
- Demonstrate interest in managing editorial and next-generation publishing
To apply to be a managing editorial intern, please send a resumé and cover letter to Morgan Garces at mgarces@openroadmedia.
Book Cover Design Intern
- Book cover creation
- Image and rights research for book covers
- Scan and correct interior images
- Take notes at the weekly cover meeting
- Correct book interiors (typesetting)
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite, particularly Photoshop and InDesign
- Pay attention to detail
- Keep files organized
- Meet deadlines
- Interest in design, reading, and next-generation publishing
- Illustration skills helpful but not required
To apply to be a book cover design intern, please send a resumé and cover letter to Amanda Shaffer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
HarperCollins: Rights Assistant
HarperCollins is one of the Big 5 publishers dedicated to providing their “authors with unprecedented editorial excellence, marketing reach, long-standing connections with booksellers, and industry-leading insight into reader and consumer behavior.” HarperCollins publishes 10,000 books a year and has a catalog of over 200,000 titles, both in print and digital.
HarperCollins’s Subsidiary Rights department is currently looking for a Rights Assistant to work on Foreign and Domestic Rights. This position is perfect for anyone looking to start a career in licensing and book publishing.
- Provides administrative support
- Handles Domestic production requests from licensees
- Processes book club orders/reorders for the Domestic Rights
- Maintains monthly manufacturing report
- Prepares seasonal rights guides for Domestic Rights
- Assists with rights research for new business Domestic projects
- Maintains Domestic mailing list
- Responds to film rights-related queries from in-house personnel and outside parties
- Assists in weekly mass mailings to Foreign subagents
- Prepares Foreign rights monthly sales reports and other Foreign reports
- Prepares renewal reports for Foreign subagents
- Researches and identifies undocumented Foreign payments to the Royalties Department
- Prepares weekly Domestic and Foreign sales report for marketing meetings
- Orders and tracks galley and book orders
- Enters licensing details of Domestic and Foreign records into database
- Oversees contract archiving and assists in scanning, logging, and filing of subsidiary rights contracts
- 4-year college degree or equivalent work experience
- Prior experience in publishing or subsidiary rights preferred but not required
- Extremely organized, detail-oriented, and able to prioritize a large volume of work
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to set priorities under pressure and to work independently
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (especially Excel and Power Point, and Adobe Acrobat)
- Passionate about learning the business-side of the publishing industry
- Interest in licensing and book publishing
For more information and to apply, click here.
The Froebe Group: Production Editor
The Froebe Group is an agency that specializes in the management of publishing services. It works with academic authors and manages large-scale projects and work across print and digital platforms.
The Froebe Group is seeking a freelance Production Editor to edit medical research and related manuscripts, textbook chapters, reports, and abstracts. You must have strong management, writing, and editorial skills. You must also demonstrate passion for and knowledge of academic and medical publishing.
- Edit and research medical materials through the publication process
- Maintain a high level of attention to detail on multiple projects
- Line-edit and proofread; formatting consistency, spelling, and grammatical accuracy
- 3–5 years of editing experience in medical publishing and editing
- Familiarity with American Psychological Association (APA) editorial style
- Familiarity and fluency with medical terminology
- Editor in the Life Sciences (ELS) or American Medical Writers Association (AMWA) certification in writing/editing preferred, but not necessary
For more information and to apply, click here.