Teachers College Press: Assistant to Director
Location: New York, NY
Teachers College Press is a publishing program that is “committed to addressing the ideas that matter most to educators.” It publishes educational books in all areas of infant to adult learning. Its books include subjects like psychology, sociology and culture, history, philosophy, and women’s studies. Its authors include seasoned practitioners and scholars as well as fresh new talent from around the world.
Teachers College Press is currently seeking an organized and detail-oriental individual to provide administrative and editorial assistance to the Director. This is a great opportunity for anyone wanting to learn the ins and outs of the publishing industry while gaining a lot of editorial experience.
- Coordinate and prioritize Director’s daily activities, meetings, and schedule
- Maintain Director’s files and correspondence
- Prioritize Director’s emails, mail, and phone calls
- Prepare proposals for review and editorial advisory meetings
- Develop skills and gain experience in writing publishing proposals
- Evaluate unsolicited manuscripts
- Maintain Director’s status report on all book projects
- Correspond with authors, series editors, and other acquisition contacts
- Prepare contracts
- Participate in various meetings and take notes
- Bachelor’s Degree or the equivalent
- 1–2 years of administrative work
- An interest in education
- Computer savvy
- Able to prioritize and multitask
- Intellectually curious and passionate about books
If you are interested in applying for this position, you should send your letter of interest and resume to Pete Sclafani (firstname.lastname@example.org).