Photo Credit: Eva Blue

A Professor at Purdue, a writer, and an activist, Roxane Gay wears many hats. Best known for her novels Bad Feminist, Hunger, and most recently, World of Wakanda, Roxane is an inspiration for all writers.

Everyone else thinks I’m a nonfiction writer. I think it’s because my nonfiction is easier to find. But I write both in equal measure. I love writing fiction because I can totally lose myself, and I get to make up the rules of the world that I’m writing.”

Roxane Gay began to write as a teenager with a series of personal essays.

She later became the founder of Tiny Hardcore Press, which publishes books that Gay describes as “Tiny” and “hardcore”. She is also an essays editor for The Rumpus and the co-founer of PANK, which is “a literary magazine fostering access to emerging and innovative poetry and prose, publishing the brightest and most promising writers for the most adventurous readers”.

“Accept that sometimes cream actually does rise to the top and hard, consistent work will eventually get noticed, maybe not in the way you envisioned, but some way, some how.”